Hearty, delicious, affordable and super-easy to cook, mussels are also one of the most sustainable types of shellfish you can buy. Farmed on ropes in the sea, mussels can be cultivated on a large or small scale. They don’t require any extra feed to grow, they clean the water around them, they take no time at all to cook, they are nutritious and wonderful to eat… and they are a bang for your buck comfort meal.
We like to cook them on an open fire in a potjie pot with a cold beer in hand and a good group of friends.
Autumn Curried mussels and beer bread
Ingredients - Mussels
- 2 Kg Fresh West Coast mussels (serves 4 to 6 ppl)
- Funky Ouma turmeric and ginger salt (available in store)
- Funky Ouma olive oil (available in store)
- 2 Cups White wine
- 2 Onions (sliced for frying)
- 2 Cloves Garlic (crushed or finely diced)
- 3 Bell peppers (green, red or yellow, seeded and chopped)
- 3 Tsp mild/ medium or hot curry (spice to your taste)
- 2 Bay leaves
- 1 Fresh chilli
- 1 Can Coconut cream (400ml)
- Fresh coriander (garnish)
Ingredients - Beer Bread
- Barret’s Ridge Beer Bread (original or chilli flavour, available in store)
- 1 Beer
Step 1 - Beer Bread
- Follow the instructions on the back of the Barret’s Ridge Beer Bread pack – it’s as simple as adding the beer, stirring up the mixture and popping it in the oven. Home cooked delicious bread ready in 45 minutes.
Step 2 - Mussels
- Heat up a big stainless-steel saucepan or potjie pot over a fire.
- Add a generous dash of Funky Ouma olive oil.
- Slice up the onion and bell peppers and sauté until soft.
- Add in the garlic & chilli making sure the garlic does not burn.
- Pop the bay leaves in with the frying ingredients along with the curry powder.
- Add in the white wine and coconut cream, simmer for a minute or two to allow the flavours to come alive.
- Now add the mussels, stir and toss them with the rest of the ingredients and close the lid of the saucepan/ potjie.
- Keep enough heat under the potjie to let the liquid in the pot boil so that the mussels steam for about 10 to 12 minutes - the shells will open when they are done.
- Discard any mussels that have not opened.
- Add Funky Ouma turmeric and ginger salt to taste.
Step 3 - Serving
- Serve in bowls scooping mussels as well as sauce into each bowl, and garnish with chopped coriander.
- Serve with slices of the fresh beer bread, lathered in butter to mop up the sauce.