Over the past couple of years, the demand and price of lobsters has climbed, along with their popularity. Lobster – the emperor of crustaceans – when place on a buttery, crispy roll, has now become the cupcake of the sea. When you taste our sweet, plump lobster meat cradled in its buttery split bun, you’ll understand what all the hype is about.
The most important question is: why pay near-record-high prices for this exquisite snack, when you can make a delicious version right in the comfort of your home? Here’s our recipe for a simple and delectable Cape Fish lobster roll.
Cape Fish’s lobster rolls: the cupcake of the sea
- 4 tbs butter
- 4 good quality hot dog buns
- 4 tsp mayonnaise
- ½ a lemon juice
- ½ tsp dried oregano
- ½ tsp dried thyme
- Salt & pepper (try the Funky Ouma Black Garlic salt available in-store – it’s a perfect match for the recipe)
Step 1 - The buns
- In the microwave, melt the butter.
- Brush half the butter onto the outer sides of your buns.
- Whack on the braai or gas cooker and toast the buns until golden brown, 1 to 2 minutes per side.
- Remove the buns from the pan and gently pry open the tops.
Step 2 -The lobster
- Combine all the herbs and lemon juice with the remaining melted butter to create your basting sauce.
- Follow these instructions to braai the lobster
Step 3 - Serving
- Spread a generous amount of the mayonnaise on the inside of each bun.
- Pull the lobster tail meat from the shell and place inside the bun.
- Season and serve.
If your lobster rolls are Instagram worthy, don’t forget to tag us (@capefishhouse) – we’d love to see how they turn out!