Planning sundowners on the beach, rocks, or at your favourite viewpoint? Don’t be that guy and bring the same generic snack of hummus, carrots and crackers. It’s been done a million times over and is about as exciting as cardboard. Make a little extra effort and follow the quick easy steps below to whip up a delicious tuna ceviche.
We recommend that you ask for a tuna cut from the belly fillet, as it will have a higher fat content (marble) which will pack a bit more flavour and texture, punching through the coriander and lemon tang. If you want a budget friendly option, try out our yellowfin tuna cake mix: it’ll work perfectly.
Tuna Ceviche - Cape Fish style
- Yellowfin tuna fillet (+- 500 grams)
- 3 radishes (finely shopped)
- 1 lemon juice (zest grated)
- 2 tsp olive oil (we recommend Funky Ouma’s ‘convenient olive oil’)
- 1/4 cup fresh coriander (finely chopped)
- 1 chill (seeds removed and finely chopped)
- Salt and pepper to season (we recommend Funky Ouma’s ‘braai & cooking salt’)
- 1 ripe avocado
Step 1 - Ceviche
- Pop the tuna fillet into the freezer for 5 to 10 minutes to allow the fish to firm up and make it easier to slice and dice.
- Using a sharp knife cut the tuna into small cubes/ strips
- In a bowl combine lemon juice, zest, chilli, olive oil, diced radish, salt, pepper and finely chopped fresh coriander.
- Dice up the avocado and combine with the dressing
- Pour the dressing and avocado over the tuna and gently mix together – as soon as the acid from the lemon hits the tuna it will begin to cook it, so you only need to mix lightly.
- Have a taste, and tweak with extra lemon, olive oil and seasoning until you’ve got a good balance.
- Pop the ceviche tuna into a snap lock Tupperware and you are ready to hit the beach for sundowners.
- Serve with tortilla chips, melba toast or any other form of cracker.