It’s official – Kevin loves being on camera, almost as much as he loves fish.
How do we know that? Because of his recent screen debut in an apron (check out our Instagram Story if you don’t believe us). Not only did he look the part and share his top tips for preparing a gourmet scallop meal, but he accomplished it all in under a minute and a half!
Kev is a big believer in getting into the grit of things, and in keeping with his rule of thumb, he shows us: ‘There is no substitute for first-hand experience and seeing things from the bottom up – if you aren’t willing to get your hands dirty, then how can you expect your employees to?’
Ok, so cooking scallops is not the same as being on a fishing boat in the middle of the ocean at sparrow’s fart, but he’s done that too. So, we’ll let him off the hook this time.
Here are Kev’s simple steps for succulent scallops, just in time for Valentine’s Day. Coincidence? We think not.
Kevin in the kitchen – our tastiest, quickest scallop recipe
- Defrost the little buggers (this can be done placing the product in the fridge overnight to defrost for dinner the following evening)
- Remember to feel around the outside for hard bits, peel them off and you’re ready to go(Note: we only stock wild caught scallops - better than the farmed stuff. You’ll notice with farmed scallops that the moisture cooks out and they reduce in size)
- Dress them in olive oil
- Add a bit of the ‘Funky Ouma Himalayan and black garlic salt.’ You can get this and the rest of the locally grown, organic spice range at our store
- Pop them in the pan and fry them for two and a half minutes on each side
- You will know they are ready because they will be slightly translucent in the middle
- Get a bed of chopped, fresh things together in a bowl
- We suggest micro herbs, orange segments, pancetta (or fried bacon) and radishes
- Thinly slice the scallops
- Pack them on top of your bed of greens
- Drizzle with a simple vinaigrette and you’re done
If you are feeling extra hungry, we recommend eating this dish with a Kingklip fillet. This can be prepared with thyme, tomato, onion, lemon juice and our trusty ‘Funky Ouma Himalayan and black garlic’ salt again.
We told you – it’s possibly the easiest, most impressive meal ever. Go on, your taste buds deserve it.